A little bit about me...
Welcome! My name is Emma Goodhill-Carter and I am the founder and creative force behind MummyLovesLily. I am a wife to my gorgeous husband Winston, mum to my ever so precious Lily, the hired help to my two cats Buffy & Misty and a stay-at-home mum who just loves to sew!
Looking back it is safe to say that MummyLovesLily began following the premature birth of my daughter. I used to work for a US Investment Bank in London but my life changed dramatically during my pregnancy. My 20 week scan revealed that my baby was very small and somehow from that point onwards my “bump” became known as Lilliput in reference to the island of small people from the book Gulliver’s Travels. At 24 weeks I was admitted to hospital with Pre-Eclampsia and there I stayed until my baby was born at 28 weeks weighing just 752g (1 lb & 10 oz.). So when my little girl arrived in this world, the only name appropriate for her was Lily. Lily spent 4 months in the NICU and it was the hardest 4 months of our lives. We travelled the NICU road and experienced all the highs and lows associated with being the parents of a premature baby and cried many tears of pain and joy. It was during this time that she was gifted a lovely little quilt by the Linus Project and I suppose this was the first time that I ever thought about sewing.
As time went by we finally left the NICU and started to live life…I accepted voluntary redundancy from my job, embraced motherhood and began to sew. You could say my nesting instincts had finally kicked in and I had an overwhelming desire to create things for Lily. I had discovered a whole new side to myself and sewing had taken over my life! I soon began designing and stitching garments for Lily and we had so many compliments regarding her clothing that friends and family suggested I should start my own children’s clothing business. …the idea for MummyLovesLily was born.
In 2013 I launched my Children's Handmade Boutique Clothing & Accessories label and have been sewing away ever since!
Me in a nutshell...
- I married my husband Winston in 2006 after meeting him in 2003. We met, we fell in love, we got married and are living life!
- I have one daughter, Lily, who was born 3 months prematurely weighing just 1 lb 10 oz (752g), she changed my life and is the reason I sew!
- We live in Alton, Hampshire. It is a small market town in the middle of nowhere, it is home and I like it!
- I only started sewing in 2010. I have discovered a whole new side to myself and it has taken over my life!
- I am addicted to sewing.
- I use a Singer Sewing Machine and a Brother Overlocker.
- I love fabric, especially Harris Tweed...can you ever own too much fabric?
- I play the piano.
- I love listening to Jamie Cullum; in fact I have seen him several times in concert and have even travelled to Paris to do so, maybe, I am now a “Groupie”?
- I have read the Twilight Saga (all 4 books)…twice…yes I know… so bite me!
- My favourite drink is a good old Cup of Tea, Twining’s, English Breakfast to be precise, with milk & sugar.